South Yarra is a suburb in Melbourne. This page includes Toorak, which, together with South Yarra are regarded as being the most desirable areas in the city.
Besides high-end shopping along Toorak Road, this district also includes the beautiful Royal Botanic Gardens and the Shrine of Rememberance.
South Yarra lies just south of the City Centre and can be easily reached by car, tram and suburban train.
Tram 8 runs along Swanston Street in the City Centre to South Yarra and Toorak along Domain Road and then Toorak Road, terminating at the junction of Toorak and Glenferrie Roads. From the City Centre, South Yarra is about 15 to 20 minutes away. Toorak is another 5 to 10 minutes away.
South Yarra station is served by three suburban train lines - Pakenham, Frankston and Sandringham. The station is located along Toorak Road. Toorak station is on the Pakenham and Frankston lines and is located along Malvern Road in the southern part of the suburb.
The main thoroughfare in South Yarra and Toorak is Toorak Road. The main access points are from St Kilda Road, which leads directly into the City Centre, and Chapel Street. Glenferrie Road marks the eastern border of Toorak.
Chapel Street and Toorak Road has some of the best nightlife in Australia. It's 24 hours and anything goes!
The Chapel Street shopping district, which begins in Windsor at the intersection of Dandenong Doad, and runs to the Toorak Road intersection, is full of hundreds of local designer boutiques, big name fashion stores and denim specialists.
It's also a great place to experience Melbourne's world-renowned cafe culture. Greville Street is a must-visit, lined with quirky boutiques and eateries.
- Bacash, Domain Road, South Yarra. It is an amazing restaurant serving the best seafood in Melbourne. It is located next to the Botanical Gardens and offeres excellent service and an amazing wine list.
- Hoo Haa, 105 Chapel St, Windsor, 9529 6900. Although hard to find, Hoo Haa makes up for it by showcasing a whimsical and eclectic decor that caters favorably to its clientele of swish and swank 20 and 30 somethings.
- France Soir, 11 Toorak Rd South Yarra, 98668569. One of the most highly awarded restaurants in Australia, France Soir, as its name suggests, serves food that is as French as it gets. Owner and sommelier Jean-Paul Prunetti has more than 1500 different European and Australian wines on offer. Definitely a treat.
- Lyall Champagne Bar, 14 Murphy St,South Yarra, 98688222. Enjoy the finest fizz in this opulent but laidback setting that has a glamorous, laidback feel.
- Red Orange Bar, 194 Commercial Road,South Yarra, 9510 3654. Red Orange is one of Melbourne's best kept secrets for an impressive, intimate function, but also a great spot for after work drinks or a tipple on the weekend. Has an all weather courtyard that is enjoyable throughout all seasons.